A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray


I have had this book sitting on my book shelf for about a year. I first bought it because the book cover caught my eye and I have a soft spot for historical novels set in England. Well I finally got around to reading it. Here is the summary with my review following.

Despite having argued long and hard to be allowed to go to London, the Gemma Doyle that arrives on the doorstep of the city's fashionable Spence Academy is not the discontented teenager from Bombay who had her hopes set on the big city. Mourning the tragic death of her mother, she is unable tell anyone the truth. Saddened by her father's retreat into laudanum and her oh-so-proper brother's insistence that she be the prim Victorian miss that she is not, Gemma despairs of fitting in. Her role as an outsider seems assured when beautiful Pippa and sophisticated Felicity lump her with her roommate, Ann, a scholarship student. To top it off, one of the mysterious men present when her mother died seems to be following her. Her bleak prospects change when she is led to the diary of Mary Dowd, a former Spence girl who penetrated the secrets of The Realm that now link Gemma, her mother, Felicity, Ann, and Pippa with a life and death struggle.

I find myself sitting here not quite knowing how to start my review. Having just finished the book it is still fresh in my mind. So I will write my likes and my concerns.

First my likes...
I enjoyed the character of Gemma Doyle. I found her refreshing. The novel is set in the late 1800's when young women were suppose to be perfect english ladies. Gemma is snarky, independent and is not afraid to stick up for others regardless of their station. And like any girl thrown into a new environment she just wants to belong.
I also enjoyed the character of Kartik. The silent protector. Even though he and Gemma have few moments together, I found myself wishing their were more.
I really do love historical novels set in England. It makes me wish I could be there. I could picture in my mind the fog covered grounds of the school. The dreary rainy days. Having to go to school for things such as proper tea service and waltzing. How different things are now!

My concerns...
Right from the start I had a feeling about Felicity and Pippa. After reading the book, I am interested to see how Gemma handles her friendships with them.
The one thing I found the most troublesome with the book was part of its plot. The Order and the part about the other realms I am a little confused about. We don't really get a very good picture about them or the purpose of them going to other realms. But like I said above there are two more books to discover the mystery.

Overall I enjoyed the book. There were some really sad moments. You definately feel for Gemma when it comes to her family and her feeling alone. But there are also times when you get a big smile on your face, either when she is standing up for friends or putting Kartik in his place. And it is never a bad thing to escape to another time and place, especially Victorian England.
Here is a link to learn more about the books...



0 comments:

Post a Comment