Masques by Patricia Briggs

Wow, it's been a while since I have posted. It's a good thing this book was so good.

After an upbringing of proper behavior and opressive expectations, Aralorn fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenary spy. Her latest mission involves spying on the increasingly powerful sorcerer Geoffrey ae'Magi. But in a war with an enemy armed with the powers of illusion, how do you know who the true enemy is- or where he will strike next?

Patricia Briggs soon became one of my favorite author's with her Mercy Thompson series. I had to see where all her writing prowess began.

In Masques we meet Aralorn, the daughter of a Lord of the realm of Reth, who should have been raised as a Lady, but but decided that wasn't for her. She travels to the country of Sianim and joins the mercenary guild and becomes a successful spy. The story starts with her on assignment and continues to follow her exploits. Along the way she meets "Wolf" who accompanies her on her journey's.

I have to say I really enjoyed reading the story of Aralorn. She is an accomplished spy, good with a staff, poor with a sword and can change her shape to look like anyone and a few choice animals. She is down to earth and has a good sense of humor. She takes others into consideration and loves finding new stories that she can share.

Her relationship with Wolf is sweet and it is fun to see the progression and interaction between the two.

The villian of the story is sufficiently evil. We get a good look at his deeds through Aralorns eyes and others. Even though we don't actually get to see much of him, he has a presence throughout the book that makes him feel like he is there.

As I said before, Patricia Briggs is one of my favorite author and more so since reading Masques. So much so I ran out after finishing to buy Wolfsbane, the second and last book in the duology.

Visit the author's website here.

1 comments:

Savannah said...

OMG! I love Patricia! I totally need to get the new books soon. Also did you hear they delayed River Marked until March! AGHHHH! I can't wait any much longer!!

Post a Comment